Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tutorial: Save some hard drive space–converting psd files to tiff files, the quick way!

Don't you just love it when you learn something new??


Recently, I was organizing some template packs and I always save my LO's as tiff files - they take up less space that way, and I can see what they are without having to open them first. So I decided to save all of the digital scrapbook templates I had downloaded as tiffs too. Until I realized that I had to save each one, lol!


But I figured out how to process a whole folder of them at once! I thought it would be helpful to share for anyone that makes templates or just wants to convert their psd files to tiff files.


Ready?
This only works for Photoshop (PS) users (I thought I found a way to do it in PSE, but it doesn't compress the tiff files so they end up HUGE!) Go to File, Scripts, Image Processor.



Then in the pop up box (pictured below)...
Step 1 select the folder you want to process
Step 2 save it in the same location
Step 3 File type - save as tiff - make sure LZW compression is checked.
       *If you want to get fancy and save a smaller size jpg of your LO or template, say for your gallery or for the psd file thumbnails if you are selling templates - you can also save as jpg and resize to 600 pixels and it will save both at the same time
Step 4 preferences included ICC profile (this was the default)
Step 5 click Run and go get something to drink or switch the wash over

This will save which ever options you choose in a new folder right inside the folder you are processing.

If you are a scrapper or a designer looking to save some hard drive space, consider converting your psd layouts, templates, product previews and working files to tiffs – you’ll be amazed at how much extra space you gain!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hee hee. Glad I reminded of this. :)

I saved about 4 gigs of space the other day just going though my kit files... I still need to finish doing that.

Carolyn Albro said...

I just tried this on one folder of templates and it didn't save them correctly. The TIFF's aren't even remotely the same as the PSD's, a lot of information was left out. I followed your tutorial step by step (twice) and I have CS3 any ideas?

Maurine Stettler said...

I have wondered if there was a way to do this -- thanks so much for sharing this tip!

Happy Scrap Girl said...

Hi Carolyn Albro,

I'm sorry this isn't working properly for you! I did just test it out, again on several files and I'm not seeing anything that might be left out.

In my picture (the second one). I am saving the file 2 different ways. Lets try it just saving one way. I use CS3 as well - on XP.

Under step 1, browse to the folder that you want to convert. Make sure the box in step 1 is not checked.

Step 2 select save in same location.

Step 3, File type - select Save as Tiff only. Under save as tiff, make sure the LZW compression is selected or it may not save correctly.

Step 4, Preferences - check the box that says include ICC Profile.

Then Click the Run button.

The process will run and you should have a new folder in the old folder with all of your files saved as tiff files. All of the layers, styles etc should still be intact.

Let me know if you have any other issues and what operating system you are using.

witchypoo said...

Just to let you know, I found out a way to save my .psd files in PSE or PSCS5 and reduce them drastically.
Unfortunately there is no quick way to do it but it saves heaps of space....
Open the .psd in either program, select the top layer in the layers palette, add a new blank layer then paint it white, then save as a .psd file in the usual manner.
If you note the size of your file before you start, and the size of the file after you have put this "dust cover" on it, you will note theat the file is reduced by approx. one third...a massive reduction in the size of the file !!

Happy Scrap Girl said...

I've never tried that before. I'll have to look into it! Another reason I like to save them as tiff files is that I can see the thumbnail image of each thing too. Makes finding what I'm looking for so much easier.

ninigoesdigi said...

Thank you. I woke up to something cool today!!! My HD was starting to scream and I might be able to save him with this!! It worked fine for me. At least for the folder I've just tried. Can't wait to do more. Great tip!!

Sara said...

You just made my day! Thanks for sharing how to do this!!! My external HD desperately needs some extra space :)

Angel said...

What if not everything in the folder is a PSD? Is there a way to change all the psd in the file without changing everything in the file? EX - Designer files that contain jpg, png, tiff, ai, and psd.

Happy Scrap Girl said...

Angel, I just tested it out and it will save everything in the folder as a Tiff file. Now it will put those new files in a new folder - so you could run it and delete out anything that you don't want fairly easily that way.