Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Tutorial: Getting More from your Worn Out Overlays

Tutorial: Getting More from your Worn Out Overlays

I’m sure that you must know by now that I love a good worn paper, frame, tag - anything really. I love the dimension and realism it gives our designs and scrapbook pages. I love making those overlays and I love using them to create
elements for my kits. I especially love seeing them in your work, and seeing how creative you are with those overlays!

As much as I love seeing that white worn edge, I really want to show you some other ways that you can use your Worn Out Overlays. Here is a Worn Out Tag for you to play along with. It coordinates with these tags.  I’ll be using this tag for my examples today. Open it in your software and play along if you would like.

hsg_wot_freebie_prev_600px

By using different blend modes and different overlays or styles we can get many different looks from the same tag overlay.

First, I’m going to show you a very realistic chipboard look using these tags. Grab one of my Krafty Papers . Clip it to the mask layer and it looks something like this.

image


Now change the blend mode on the overlay to multiply. Then duplicate the overlay layer.Now we have a nice grungy chipboard tag. This would work great on the Element Shape overlays or the Frame overlays too!

image


Now let’s try to get another look with this same tag. Revert the tag so it’s back to the original that you downloaded.


Open up a paper and clip it to the layer mask. I’m using a paper from my Serenity kit.

image

That looks good as it is, but my kit has some worn chipboard in it, so it doesn’t quite fit well with the rest of the kit. So now I’m going to take that same Kraft Paper and clip it to the overlay layer.

image


That fits the kit look much better. I might go in with a grunge brush and erase a little bit of the edges that are folded over to make it look a little more realistic.

You can clip a different pattern to the edges or you could even use a layer style or filter to give it a unique look. This one uses an Alien Skin Brushed Metal filter to make this look like an old metal tag.

image

I can take a new paper and clip it to the mask. Then duplicate the paper layer and clip it to the overlay layer and change the blend mode of the overlay layer to difference and I get a tag that looks like I’ve inked the edges…

image


Try taking 2 coordinating papers this time. Clip one to the mask layer and the second to the overlay layer. Now duplicate the overlay layer and move it above all of the other layers. Change its blend mode to multiply. This looks like
one of those double sided papers that paper scrappers use.

image


Hopefully I’ve given you lots of ideas on new ways you can use your Worn Out overlays. I’m sure you can think of many more! Try it with my Worn Out Flowers too!

image


Copyright 2010 Happy Scrap Girl Designs Do not distribute or publish online. If you’d like to share this tutorial, please share a link back to this page.

3 comments:

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 3 post on Dec. 22, 2011. Thanks again.

suruha said...

A very nice tutorial! Thank you! Thanks for the files, too! I will try my hand at this!

Su

Scrumptious said...

What a fantastic tutorial! I'm in the middle of shopping for your worn out paper overlays at Scrap Orchard, and I hopped over to your facebook page and found this tutorial. These are such great ideas! I am still learning how to use overlays so this will really expand the possibilities. Thanks!